Sunday, March 21, 2021

Genre and target audience

  It's probably a little bit late into the project to cover this in a posting but I figured this was an important posting to make and it's better late than never! I've been trying to decide what genre I could categorize my project into. I've settled on a coming-of-age drama that takes the artistic approach rather than a completely narrative approach. When I was thinking of this I wasn't entirely sure if the title of drama would fit a piece like the one I plan on creating, but as the definition for drama (film) goes: "drama is a category of narrative fiction (or semi-fiction) intended to be more serious than humorous in tone." Additionally the conventions of drama are typically that it exhibits real life situations with realistic characters, settings, and stories, portrays journey of character development, and it's purpose is to move the audience emotionally. These are all things the plot of my short film encompasses.

  Since this is also technically a coming of age, I want my target audience to mirror that. If I could give it a rating I would say PG-13, as my target audience would be adolescents and young adults. The reason it would be PG-13 and not rated R is because it is a piece about mental health that if I were to share outside of this project through other platforms, I would love for younger adolescents to have access too. Watching things like this would break down the stigma of the conversation around more serious mental health disorders, and could potentially help someone feel less alone if they recognize the patterns shown in the short film in themselves. It also wouldn't be rated R as I want to make sure the scenes shown in my piece are as school appropriate as I can make them with a topic such as this. Additionally, if I have the time at the end of my piece I would love to include resources for those in need of them that they can turn to in case they feel they have no other options. If it can help even just one person, then I have met my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

    My short film, Reaching Equilibrium, is about a teenage girl named Evelyn who was recently diagnosed and starting treatment for bipolar ...