Thursday, March 5, 2020

Sound Track and Sound Effects

  Since I have last done research on sound, I have spent a lot of time considering the music in my own production. What will match the mood of how I envision the results in my head the best? What will convey this feeling to my audience most clearly? And how will I utilize these sounds? There are a lot of aspects to consider, and this is a list of potential sounds and their purposes within my piece. Once again, keep in mind that this is not definitive or exhaustible and is solely for inspiration to come up with ideas that will help frame the camera work and the editing of my shots to blend them cohesively. Here is what I have so far (in no particular order):

Soundtrack (music)


  This song is an ambient, instrumental piece that I think would be perfect for an ending or opening scene. Apart of my planning was that I want the opening sequence to be a series of intimate mirror shots with my main character where she applies makeup and takes a look at herself. She is seeing who she truly is in a world that can often times be cruel to somebody who looks like her, but she loves herself despite the need to mentally prepare herself before stepping outside.


  Another ambient instrumental piece, this time with a more upbeat tone to it. This would be great for shots that show my main character thinking back to her childhood, a shot quite literally mirroring the opening scene, of when she was a little girl watching her mother apply makeup. I also think it would be a great transitional sound in general to the previous song listed.
  This one has jazz undertones to it, and though I wasn't originally planning on using a more upbeat sound in the beginning, it helped me come up with an idea. The beginning would be a black screen for about five seconds while a portion of this song plays as the title screen appears and the song ends in the sound of a click, like somebody changing the channel on a radio. Then, the sound of bad news reportings would start playing before a fade in of the opening scene, where the opening credits will roll throughout. The irony between the upbeat jazz cut abruptly to devastating news would show that the issue represented within my film opening is dangerously ignored, and that the ignorance is fatal.
  My plan for this would be to use the opening seconds of this song to play right after the news reporting clearly makes an impact on the main character, a static buzz that fills the space in between before the sequence of mirror shots. I feel that it could be really impactful, and set the tone of why she begins to examine herself in the mirror. It will let the audience know that the news she just heard isn't good, and it fills in some space for silence, a ringing tone used to really highlight the silence after.

Sound Effects

  As mentioned before, this would be for the radio in the opening scenes, it would fit well within the timeframe of switching the music to the eventual news that would be heard playing that sets the scene and idea for the rest of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

    My short film, Reaching Equilibrium, is about a teenage girl named Evelyn who was recently diagnosed and starting treatment for bipolar ...