Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Getting to know the main character and her story!

  Before I dive into discussing the script and scenes that will be taking place in my film opening, I think it is important to get to know our main character that we will be following the story of. As I was  planning out who she was I decided to use mural.co to brainstorm how I picture her in my head. In it, I used a diagram to map out and organize the little bits of information about her that are important such as her name, physical and personality description, the support and challenges she may face, as well as creating a moodboard for her style and personality, as well as parts of her identity and what she stands for.
  Here is her background so far, so I can establish how these things develop my main character into who she is. As shown here, I have decided on the name Maya Palmer. She is a 19 year old black trans girl navigating life after coming out and graduating high school. Her family is Caribbean, from the U.S. Virgin Islands and they moved to California when Maya was three. Despite growing up in a Christian family, she was raised by a young single mother and her grandmother as the only child and always knew she was a girl. Her family support her in her gender identity her mom being her biggest source of support when her dad left at an early age for disagreeing with the way her mother let her child express herself, and it helps her grow into the strong woman she becomes and is shown as in the film opening. She has a supportive and healthy background, and is generally surrounded by positivity in her life and while she had supportive friends in high school it wasn't all forgiving, especially the ignorant popular boys who didn't make her life easy being transgender and black in a mostly white and hispanic populated school. She works a part time job alongside going to art school with an internship in fine arts as she is in the middle of her medical transitioning process when news that raises controversy makes its way into her life. Does she protect her own self in such a vulnerable part of her life or rise up to the challenge and fight for what is right despite potential risks? Is this where she will find a loving community of people alike?
  To cast the perfect person to play this role, I will be taking to social media, specifically Twitter and Instagram, as mentioned in previous postings, to make a casting call. I will be posting a tweet and sharing a screenshot of the tweet on my personal instagram story, and ask those who retweet to also post this screenshot on their own stories. In it I will be asking for the main character on here, as well as a person to play the role of her mother and grandmother (if needed as it should be noted that due to potential circumstances, specifics may be altered). Any additional background characters or secondary characters will be casted through reaching out to friend groups and people within my school and area who are willing to participate.
Twitter casting call
    Stay tuned for the next postings where I will be featuring updates of casting integrated within my posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

    My short film, Reaching Equilibrium, is about a teenage girl named Evelyn who was recently diagnosed and starting treatment for bipolar ...