Thursday, February 18, 2021

First blog posting for my new project!!

   Hello! Wow, it's been awhile since I created a posting on this blog. I'm excited to share my journey with you on my newest project for this class. I have decided to go with the short film option for this project. Immediately I knew exactly what I wanted to create for this short film, and that was going with the topic of mental health. Mental health is an incredibly personal and important topic to me and it was important  to me to be able to depict it as accurately as possible in the form of a short film format. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of accurate representation in the media on mental health, particularly the more severe disorders such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, personality disorders, e.t.c. Since bipolar disorder is one I don't see often and is a personal topic, I chose to focus on this disorder. 

  However, rather than focus on the person with the disorder solely, I want to personify the disorder. I was inspired to do this both by my teacher as well as a spoken word poem I began writing the other day that does just that, personify the disorder. My goal is that viewers would be able to get a deep dive into how struggling with the disorder actually feels. Often times we see it depicted in film as the behavior one with bipolar disorder exhibits, so it can be easily misrepresented and often leave room for stereotype and judgement. I want to convey the thought process and the emotions felt in an artistic way. With this method, I attempt to achieve a more empathetic approach to the conversation of mental health, and to expand it beyond just depression and anxiety. 

  I'm excited to share my progress in achieving this goal! I hope you are too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

    My short film, Reaching Equilibrium, is about a teenage girl named Evelyn who was recently diagnosed and starting treatment for bipolar ...